Ongoing Engineering Vacancy – DSS Level 3
This duty statement is an example of the skills and responsibilities expected at DSS Level 3 – Engineering. If you believe you have the requisite skills, please apply for this role and we’ll get in touch with you.
Example Responsibilities and Knowledge Areas:
- Retain comprehensive understanding and adherence to pertinent legislative frameworks, government decision-making, and Defence’s mission and policy guidelines.
- Fulfill Engineering Delegations as conferred by the Chief Engineer.
2. Contract Management:
- Draft structured feedback for the contractor/Prime concerning ASDEFCON contract deliverables, encompassing various Contract Data Requirements List (CDRLs).
- Command and coordinate the Engineering team’s input during system and design package reviews, in anticipation of MSRs and Design Acceptance events.
- Aid in contract negotiations with Industry.
- Review and endorse engineering acceptances of contract deliverables within the area of competence.
- Arrange tender and contract materials, including necessary supplementary documentation.
3. Systems Engineering Specific:
- Draft and critique Project/Program Engineering Plans, Processes, and Procedures.
- Strategize and execute tasks per the projects’ Engineering Plans.
- Organise stakeholder feedback and oversee technical risk evaluations.
- Offer Specialist Engineering Guidance to accomplish stream tasks, and monitor project risk and expenditure.
- Administer safety risk management initiatives, curating Hazard Logs and Safety Case Reports within the System Safety Program Plan.
- Command Interface Management of systems and sub-systems, leading Interface Control Planning Groups and industry-led Interface Control Working Groups.
- Oversee, govern, and direct Verification and Validation undertakings, including Test and Evaluation as instructed by the Engineering Manager.
- Command and pilot Engineering Working Groups in liaison with varied stakeholders.
- Hold responsibility for any given engineering authorities and Technical Regulatory Authority delegations.
- Draft and propose Engineering Configuration Changes to the Function and Performance Specifications (FPS) and connected documentation.
- Facilitate Engineering Configuration Changes to the FPS and linked documentation.
- Offer expert insights into the Operational Concept Document (OCD) development.
- Support the growth of future enhancements, innovations, and capabilities, i.e., Pre-Gate 0 advice, and document formulation with stakeholder consultation.
- Review technical literature and data.
- Undertake other Engineering tasks as designated by the work stream Lead.
- Introduce an Engineering Management System and correlated processes to assure successful project and system delivery.
- Review technical and design packages, including planning, examination, and initiating follow-up actions.
- Authenticate that the procured materiel is compliant with requirements, legislation, policy, and regulatory frameworks, initiating corrective actions.
- Cultivate and maintain robust relationships with key stakeholders at both strategic and operational tiers.
- Pilot various Review processes.
- Oversee a team, defining work priorities, apportioning tasks, and managing workflows and performance.
- Review and tender formal replies to correspondence, briefs, and reports for upper-tier consideration.
- Mentor less experienced team members.
- Embark on research and analytical ventures.
- Distribute information, supervise work procedures, establish work benchmarks, and formulate local strategies.
- Mastery in deploying an Engineering Management System with pertinent processes for project and system delivery.
- Profound understanding of CASG Configuration Management Systems and policy.
- In-depth knowledge of CASG Quality Management Systems and policy.
- Solid grounding in Systems Engineering processes.
- Robust understanding and experience in curating and critiquing technical/engineering documents.
- Expertise in creating artifacts and architectures within DOORS.
- Proven track record in a complex stakeholder environment.
- Broad Engineering experience areas including Training, Facilities, Maintenance, Verification, Validation, RAM, Configuration Control, and Support Systems.
- Demonstrated experience leading a team in intricate settings.
- Exceptional communication skills, skilled in stakeholder relationship cultivation.
- Acumen in strategising and implementing Engineering Concepts and Plans.
- Knowledge of CASG Acquisition project mandates, Defence Projects, Defence Capability Life Cycle, and Defence Systems Engineering processes.
- Familiarity with the ASDEFCON contract suite.
- Strategic thinking aptitude with the prowess to identify risks and opportunities in projects.
- Completed CASG mandatory trainings like Workplace Behaviour, Security Awareness, WHS for Workers, Fraud & Integrity Awareness.
- Skills to efficiently communicate, guiding the decision-making of Project Managers and other top-tier personnel.
- Engage and liaise with stakeholders to address, respond, and advise on matters to achieve Defence goals.
- Articulate engineering requisites through detailed documents and presentations.
- Cert IV/Diploma in Engineering with over 8 years of pertinent experience.
- 4-year Bachelor or Honours degree in Engineering with relevant practice.
- Recognised as a Professional Engineer with Engineers Australia.
- Chartered Engineer status is highly esteemed.
- Master’s degree in Systems Engineering.
- Systems Engineering short courses.
- DOORS training.
- Specialisation in Risk Management.
- Specialisation Courses:
- Test and Evaluation practitioner.
- Reliability, Availability, and Maintainability (RAM) course.
Systems and Software Engineering - Systems Engineering
Clearance Level Required:
Baseline, NV1, NV2, PV, Unspecified
ACT, NSW, NT, QLD, SA, TAS, VIC, WA, Unspecified
Evaluation criteria response required for submission?